• id
  • username
  • 2009-06-15
  • Belgium
  • Hogeschool Gent
  • Sonia Vandepitte
  • Research coordinator - Translation Studies
  • Reine Meylaerts
  • My institution
  • Yes. “Doctoraat in de Vertaalwetenschap”
  • depending on the student (4-6 years)
  • Master’s degree (4 or 5 years)
  • Yes. Students that do not come from translation studies are obliged to take certain courses. Students have their individual programmes. Students that do come from TS from a Flemish Institution of Higher Education have to take an obligatory programme of 30 credits.
  • This depends on the funding of the student. If the student has a University College Ghent position, the proposal will have been endorsed not only by a promoter from the University of Ghent, who may not be a TS specialist, but also by a second promoter from Translation Studies from University College Ghent. The subject must belong to the fields stipulated in the school’s research policy ( In the other cases, students may propose their subjects directly to a promoter from the Faculty of Arts without any guidance from a Translation Studies promoter.
    Subjects are officially approved by the Ghent University Faculty Board via the Ghent University Faculty Examination Committee.
  • Everybody who can find a promoter can register. There is no selection if the student can pay for the study themselves. Those who apply for funding from University College Ghent need to submit a proposal that is well-motivated and documented and they are not only in competition with each other, but also with students from five more other eligible schools.
  • € 253,40 at the start of the doctoral programme and € 253,40 at the end for the examination. No more fees are to be paid in the intermediate years.
  • Courses are organized by the Ghent University Doctoral School of Arts, Humanities and Law. Each student is given his/her own individual programme by a dbc or, in English, DGC (Doctoral Guidance Committee, which reports to the Faculty Doctoral Committee)
    Number of ECTS? 60
  • -Are theoretical courses required? Yes, if the student did not have enough at master’s level.
    -Should candidates attend them before or during their research work? During – there is no predoctoral programme.
  • Students are integrated into an Association Research Group of the Faculty of Arts or of the Faculty of Science, and members of TS staff are integrated into the relevant research lines.
  • There is no expected length; approval must be obtained from the Ghent University Faculty Board for any language besides Dutch (this is usually not difficult); there is no time-limit, but funding is limited unless the student has their own means. The PhD can be obtained on the basis of a series of articles.
  • Yes, on a competitive basis. Students may also apply for grants from FWO (Flemish Research Council)
  • -Who is entitled to supervise? Any ZAP-member from the University of Ghent, and, in addition, any other person affiliated to an institution of higher education who holds a PhD.
    -What are the required formal qualifications? Be a member of staff belonging to the ZAP (lecturers and higher levels at the University).
    -Can supervisors come from a different university or country? Yes – on joint PhDs:
    -Is their role defined explicitly? No, unless the individual Doctoral Guidance Committee does so.
  • The number is not specified. There may be three supervisors from different institutions, including foreign ones.
    Is joint supervision possible? Yes
    Is it usual? Yes, for students with a post at TS. Different combinations of expertise can be made: two languages under investigation, the topic, the methodology, etc.
  • There is an official annual meeting of the Doctoral Guidance Committee. What kind of monitoring activities do you have on the progress of a PhD candidate? Annual report for the DGC, and biannual report for the University College Ghent Research Board via the school of TS’s own board.
  • The PhD must be proof of original and independent academic research. The student needs to be admitted to the examination by the Reading Committee, which consists of DGC members and at least one external referee from abroad. The examination is a viva, consisting of the dissertation only, and assessed by the whole Examination Board.
  • There is no such requirement. If the PhD is published, the promoter gets a financial stimulus. If the student wants to get a renewal of the funding from the University College Ghent Research Board, however, the student needs to be able to submit publications.
  • The Doctoral School of Arts, Humanities and Law has one of the best programmes in the country. The DS asks the Faculty of Translation Studies for proposals for courses. For the moment, cooperation between TS and the Doctoral School is still minimal: no TS staff are on the Board of the DS. This may change when TS has been accredited, which is planned for January 2013.
    The combination of a non-TS promoter with a TS promoter makes matters complex; at the same time, cooperation also brings new insights and support.
    The first PhD-students in TS still have to graduate: the degree is new.
  • This is the Ghent University doctoral school website:
    Applicants for funding from the University College Ghent Research Board will find relevant information on this website when calls have been made (they are usually published once a year):
    More information can be obtained from the translation studies research coordinator